Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A long walk



Continued... I went back to Tangjia the next morning to try and get my bike fixed. I left the house at 8:15, took a bus and arrived in Tangjia at 10am. My bike was where I left it! On the engine though there are two identical caps each with a hex head. The one on the left in this picture had just blown through. Pretty crummy metal I guess. I found a mechanic who told me he would have the bike done by 2PM. I didn't want to spend 3 hours in transit going home and back so I begun walking north where I had never been before.

Photobucket



This is a small body of water connected to the upcoming river that I came across in the beginning of my journey. It was right after some really nice houses and some really beaten factories.

Photobucket



Just after that there was a very large bridge traversing the river. I was really hot so I made a shir-Turbin.

Photobucket



This is a panorama from on top of the bridge. The bridge traverses the end of the river. There were a few industrial docks among other things. I didn't get a picture, but the bridge was constructed of a single rectangular cement column 250ft tall with cables running from it to the rest of the bridge.

Photobucket



This boat looked like it was about to capsize. The water was right up to the deck.

Photobucket



This is the 'end' of the bridge. The elevated road continued for hundreds of yards, but the sidewalk suddenly ended.

Photobucket



Many walls in China have a very simple alternative to barbed/razor wire. Broken glass should do the job, and it looks pretty neat too.

Photobucket



This is the Peking University Zhuhai Experimental Campus. I went in to explore and was very surprised to see every age in school uniforms, from kindergarteners to college students all at the same campus.

Photobucket



To my surprise, even this less traveled part of Zhuhai was adorned with palm trees and its own bike road.

Photobucket



I saw a new BMW and Audi take a dirt road so I followed them. There was a really ritzy restaurant at the end and a beach with couples taking wedding photos. You see a lot of that here, especially at the beach. I would think the sand and lacy white dress might be a problem, but bride always sits in the sand for a few photos.

Photobucket



On the opposite side of the dirt road was this mysterious place- Golden Apple Paradise as the sign said. I had to take a look. I was really hoping to find some apples as I was parched and hadn't eaten anything on my journey.

Photobucket



The ticket booth was empty and the gate to the park was open. I went in to find an empty, forgotten theme park. I even found a ring toss and gave it a shot. Even with free tosses and nobody there, the game was impossible.

Photobucket



Judging by some of the vegetation and overall condition of the place I'd say it was abandoned for 6 months to a year. Later I found a clay workshop- there were a few bags on the side of the room with clay that was still moist and malleable.

Photobucket



I'm not sure what was going on in this painting. A girl listening to headphones, a boy looking at his watch and waving a flag, two other kids firing a bazooka and a machine gun at UFOs. There's even a kid holding the root of a tree as if it were a gun.

Photobucket



This was their empty zoo. There were no dead animals, but it was really creepy. Every time I peeked into a room a metal door in the back made noises in the wind. There were hundreds of unburned incense on the ground so I grabbed a handful. Shortl after I realized I don't like hanging on to useless junk and tossed the incense.

Photobucket



There was even a small race track in the back of the park. I really really wanted to try and find some abandoned go carts, but I was on the wrong side of the track and already overdue to pick up my moped.

Photobucket



I had gone a little off path to get to the racetrack, and was trying to make a shortcut back to the entrance. I came across a really dry area that was like a miniature desert.

Photobucket



The heat really made me feel like I was in a desert.

Photobucket



Another strange painting. This must be the stage where they had performances.

Photobucket



I began walking back South, on the other side of this cove was the Peking school and behind me were some very strange things.

Photobucket



I got back to the bike place and the mechanic had my bike ready to go. He had to change the engine because they like to make metal alloys out of butter and dirt here. (Notice how thick the metal is in the shredded remain of the tapped post.) For 4 hours of work and a new engine though, I can't complain. It set me back 100 Kuai, or about $15USD.

Photobucket



This little bay was beautiful so I stopped for a few photos on my ride back home... just before it started raining. My house is South South South of here.

Photobucket




Photobucket



Hey everybody!

Photobucket




Tons has happened since then (Last Wednesday) But I'll get some more pictures up ASAP!


Love you all,
Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment