Monday, November 23, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!



Well it's been a while since my last upload, haven't had much online time this week. I've been pretty busy and met some great people this week. I met a guy named Samuel at last Sunday's Chinese/English class. His english is really good, but luckily he's only been using Chinese with me. Samuel brought me to his friend's coffee shop this week. The owners are super nice and the customers are all very friendly. I plan on going back often to chat and try to pick up more and more of the language. They serve a cup of coffee (to men only?) called Emperor Shennong- It costs $45 US!
好久不见。这几天我很少上网。 我很忙不过我这个星期介绍一些很好人。 再上个星期的语言课我介绍一个男人叫做Samuel. 他说英语说的很好不过我们一起制用中文聊天儿 他带我区他朋友的咖啡馆。 那个咖啡馆的老板,和顾客都是很好人所以我打算很常回来聊天儿。 他们做一杯咖啡,叫做帝Shennong. 一杯Shennong咖啡要三百多元! 再说女人不能喝这样的咖啡。


These photos are pretty dated, starting from 10 days ago on 11/10/09
这些照片很久。 第一个是2009年十一月十号照得。

I haven't talked to my leasing agent in a while, but on the 10th, I got a call from her phone. It was her friend who I hadn't met inviting me to the leasing agent's birthday party. This birthday party was very unusual. Everybody stood in a big circle in the room and we cut various fruits and passed them around as we chatted. The strangest fruit was called an Ohlong, it looks like a purple artichoke. When you peel it the fruit is a milky white with what looks like poppy seeds spread throughout. It was too average- just slightly sweet, slightly sour and slightly salty.
我很多久没见我的房牙子不过十一月十号我接了她的电话。 她的朋友请我来房牙子的生日会。她的生日会很奇怪。我们一边吃水果一边聊天儿。 最奇怪的水果叫做Oolong又甜的又酸的又咸的。

Photobucket



The birthday girl, Grace, my leasing agent.
我的房牙子, Grace.

Photobucket



CAKE! I was really excited about this cake because of the chocolate on the sides... that's all I really wanted. I cut the cake and by the time I had served everybody, there were no pieces left with chocolate because this girl peeled all the chocolate pieces for herself! I wish I knew how to say "Jerk- put the chocolate down, NOW!" in Chinese. Haha
蛋糕! 我很兴奋因为这个蛋糕有巧克力。 我只要吃巧克力。 我锲蛋糕,但是我锲好得时候没有巧克力因为一个女孩儿把每一片巧克力偷窃了!

Photobucket



The next night I went out to dinner with a guy Mackie and his friend Sammie. Apparently they're not a couple, but he kept talking about how he bought plane tickets to go see her, and how he has to bring her here or accompany her there. Not sure what was going on, but they were really nice and had some great insight regarding asian cultures.
The food was excellent too. We had these greens (thick cabbage maybe) chopped crispy pork ribs, spicy beef, Japanese Tofu and fried shrimp skewers. It was all very spicy and very delicious. Mackie and Sam didn't eat much because it was too spicy so I took on the responsibility of finishing it all. I felt that the next day.

次日我和 Mackie 和 Sammie 一起出去吃饭。 他们不是一对儿,不过Mackie 告诉我的他以前坐飞机去见他的,再说他需要带她去很多地方。 我不清楚他们觉得什么,但是他们不但很好人, 而且教我很多亚洲的文化。
那里的菜非常好吃。 我们吃了菜蔬,猪排,辣牛肉,日本豆腐,和串烧虾。 这些菜又好吃又很辣。Mackie 和 Sammie 觉得太辣所以我把每一菜吃完了。 次日我的肚子一点不舒服。

Photobucket



The shrimp skewers- they're fried shell and all with tea leaves, the black pieces in the picture. After the first one or two, you don't really notice the shell. Good calcium I guess.
串烧虾是和茶叶一起炸的。吃一,两个然后不感觉它们的外层。我估摸是很好的钙质。


Photobucket



Chomp Chomp
咬咬!

Photobucket



The next day I met my friend Wendy for some shopping at the border shopping center underground. I go there pretty frequently, but rarely buy anything. It's just a really fun place to explore.
次日我在拱北地下市场见面我的朋友,Wendy. 我常常去拱北地下市场但是我很少买东西。那个地方很好玩。

Photobucket



On Saturday morning, the 14th, I ran up my mountain like usual then met up with Hank for some hiking. We hiked up shi Jing Shan and the mountain on Ye Li Dao Island. I got a text message from a strange number asking what I was doing... so I had Hank slyly ask the person how we knew each other. It turns out she was the person that invited me to Grace's birthday party. We invited her to hang out with us, so she met up with us and I cooked lunch for Hank and her.
After lunch I got a text from somebody I met earlier in the week inviting me to play badminton with some friends. I brought Hank and Shannon out to play. I never knew badminton could be so much fun.
星期六早上我在金钟花园跑步爬山。然后我见面Hank. 我们在石景山和野离岛山爬山了。 我接了很奇怪的短信,但是我不清楚谁发给我的。 Hank 问她是谁? 恰好他是


Photobucket





Photobucket



Hank the Tank
I didn't realize we were going to play at a paid court, so I paid for my guests. After badminton ended, we went to a restaurant near my old crazy roommate's house. I ordered Japanese style Tofu, which is now one of my favorite dishes. It's spicy round tofu made out of eggs served with spicy beef or chicken. After dinner, we got to talking about cooking and decided to take the bus to a really big supermarket to find some Cheese. They had cheese there, but it costs like $1-2 US per ounce! After playing around in the supermarket, we saw a bar that said it had mexican food, so I went in and asked the owner where he gets tortillas. He gave me the card of a place called Zhuhai deli. Afterwards Hank and I walked Shannon to her bus stop and Hank insisted he wait for me to get on my bus before taking his. He got along really well with Shannon, so I hope they get closer in the future.


Photobucket



I've been teaching a little english 2-3 times a week to a couple on the floor below me. It's great because I make a little spending money and I'm definitely learning more Chinese from them than they're learning English from me. They opened a business together making ink Cartridges and hope to someday set up a business in America to distribute the products. They invited me over for lunch on Sunday the 15th. We had some duck, cucumbers, greens and fish. There were lots of bones, but it was pretty good.

Photobucket



There's a lot of shirts, signs and various things for sale with English on them. The English often doesn't make sense, but nobody knows better. Take this bathroom tile for example. I can do that too- adsklfjbnefkljbhfbhlekjrbfhjlebhrfljebrfjberjfbejferjlbfjerjher

Photobucket



Later that day I went to find the Zhuhai deli. They had really random imported goods. 10 stale tortillas cost $5 US though! They even had Spam there for $6 US a can. Ironic. I ended up buying a bottle of Taco sauce for about $4.
The next day, Monday the 16th, I got some flour and salt to make my own tortillas. It was really simple but very time consuming.

Photobucket



I didn't have a rolling pin so I used this ketchup bottle. The problem was it's not really cylindrical, the bottom and top of the cylinder have a raised round edge which kept making thin spots on the tortillas.

Photobucket



Batch #1, 8 tortillas, but I ate one.

Photobucket



I had a little time and the tortilla I ate was so good that I decided to make another batch. This time I found a chili oil botter that was better shaped, but oil kept leaking out while I was rolling the tortillas. I used chili oil instead of vegetable oil in this batch though anyways and they had a nice flavor to them.

Photobucket



TACOS! Finally! I think Mexican food is my favorite.

Photobucket



I took a one pound cut of pork and turned it into really small chunks. It took forever, but you can only really buy large chunks of meat here. I cooked onions and green pepper together and added cilantro green onions and taco sauce on top. They were delicious.

Photobucket





I gotta run now, but I'll publish this as soon as I get online next time. It's now 6PM Friday November 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment