Tuesday, January 19, 2010

San Yan Photo Trip



Hey everybody! Still keeping busy here. I'm getting ready to move out of my apartment. I've had no luck selling any of my things yet thoug - there's no craigslist in Zhuhai! I'll be moving my stuff to a friend's apartment on thursday then flying to Thailand on Friday. I'm not sure I'll have time to make another blog before I go, so this may be my last post for a good 3 weeks or so. I might find access to email in Thailand from my phone so I'll probably check my email once or twice. The plan is to explore Bangkok for a few days then take buses and explore what I can (hopefully some other countries if time permits).

Here are some photos from Last Sunday, the 10th. I went to San Yan with some friends to take some photos.



The place we went is famous for its pineapples so we grabbed a few bags. Later at lunch, our waitress said we bought fake San Yan pineapples... that they were grown somewhere else and shipped in. They tasted great to me though.

Photobucket





Photobucket



A few shots of the countryside.

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Me learning Chinese photography linguo.

Photobucket



The remains of an old country mansion.

Photobucket




We had lunch in a restaurant at the far end of this row of buildings.

Photobucket



Lunch

Photobucket



My Chinese friends really like plain boiled shrimp for some reason. It takes a really long time to peel and then there's little meat or flavor.

Photobucket



The restaurant grows all its own greens.

Photobucket



Exploring the abandoned mansion.

Photobucket



These kids came but couldn't speak mandarin. This is pretty rare in China.

Photobucket





Photobucket



Next time I'll bring my tripod.

Photobucket




Photobucket




Photobucket



This must have been a really neat house 50 some years ago.

Photobucket



The punk kids again. The one on the right must have been about 8-9 years old... but then again smoking stunts your growth, so you never know.

Photobucket



We drove off to another area in the midst of miles of banana trees and found a few houses.

Photobucket



Me start look like caveman.

Photobucket




Photobucket



This guy was out back trying to collect something.

Photobucket



Photobucket



Shooting some Macros.

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



This was some sort of trap, though I'm not sure for what type of waterlife.

Photobucket



MILES of banana trees. Unfortunately they weren't quite ripe yet.

Photobucket



Sarah.

Photobucket



Doing what I like to do best.

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Me teaching the Belly Bop.

Photobucket



Photobucket




We came back to Zhuhai and ended up at a hot-pot restaurant...
While we wait for the hot-pot, we snack on pickled chicken feet and pig ears.

Photobucket



Here's the hot pot. The left side is really plain, the right is ridiculously spicy. You know which one I picked.

Photobucket



Mmm the food finally arrived. Clockwise from top left: duck intestine, cow stomach, greens, tofu, white carrots, bad spam, seaweed, cow lung?, and pig throat. Put it in a grinder and you've got dog food.

Photobucket



It's funny the parts of the animals that we throw away in America are the most expensive in China. Man I could go for a steak.

Photobucket




Photobucket



The main course of the hot-pot: fish head. The meat from the neck area was pretty good.

Photobucket



The gray stuff near the bottom is fish brain, it was surprisingly tasty cooked in the spicy sauce.

Photobucket



My mouth started going numb all of a sudden. The culprit is these tiny balls, for some reason the spicy side had hundreds of them and you have to eat around them or your mouth goes numb for a few minutes. They used to use these as dental anesthetics.

Photobucket



Later we went to drop Sarah off. She had these cool shower caps for our feet to keep the place clean.

Photobucket



Like an Ikea catalog.

Photobucket



The view from her apt.

Photobucket








That's it for today, I'll try to squeeze in another upload before leaving, but if you don't hear from me I love you all and miss you!

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment